Members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) are often referred to as "Disciples"
Who is First Christian Church?
What do Disciples believe?
Like most Christians, Disciples affirm:
- Jesus Christ is the son of the Living God, and offers saving grace to all
- All persons are God's children
Our Beliefs & Practices
- Open Communion. The Lord's Supper, or Communion is celebrated in weekly worship. It is open to all who believe in Jesus Christ.
- Freedom of Belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. With liberty in belief, we are guided by prayer, study of the Bible, and the Holy Spirit. We are expected to extend that same liberty to others.
- Baptism by Immersion. In baptism the old self-centered life is set aside, and a new life of trust in God begins. Although Disciples practice baptism by immersion, other baptism traditions are honored.
- Belief in the Oneness of the Church. All Christians are called to be one in Christ and to seek opportunities for common witness and service.
- The Ministry of All Believers. Both ministers and lay persons lead in worship, service and spiritual growth.
Our Statement of Calling